I’ve started noticing more and more happiness movements popping up recently, so I decided to compile a few of my favorites to share with you! Here are 6 happiness movements everyone should know about:
1. 365 Grateful Project – A documentary about the extraordinary power of gratitude has turned into a global movement. In an effort to fight depression, Hailey decided to take one Polaroid photo a day of something she felt grateful for. Hailey posted her project on flickr and gradually others began to do their own versions of the 365 Grateful project.
Learn more about the 365 Grateful Project here: http://365grateful.com/
2. You Are Beautiful – Matthew Hoffman started the You Are Beautiful project by creating stickers that say “you are beautiful” on them. The movement has grown in the past decade from just 100 stickers to a half million stickers posted around the globe. He sends anyone who wants to be part of the movement 5 free stickers.
Learn more about the You Are Beautiful Project here: http://you-are-beautiful.com/
3. Happy Fridays at USC – Students at the University of Southern California (USC) started a happiness movement out of their love for Fridays. Each Friday they randomly distribute treats around USC’s campus to other students. They are always homemade and filled with love.
Learn more about Happy Fridays at USC here: https://www.facebook.com/HappyFridaysUSC/
4. Happier Boston – The movement is exactly what it sounds like. Sponsored by Samaritans, a non-denominational, not-for-profit volunteer organization dedicated to reducing the incidence of suicide, their goal is to make Boston a happier place. They were recently featured on the Today Show for carrying happy signs and handing out oranges to people walking by at a Boston train station.
Learn more about Happier Boston here: http://happierboston.org/
5. Delivering Happiness – Delivering Happiness started as a book written by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh and has grown into a movement to help people, organizations, and businesses apply frameworks of happiness to their lives. They’ve partnered with Meetup.com so that you can meet up with other people in your town who are involved in the movement.
Learn more about Delivering Happiness here: http://www.deliveringhappiness.com/jointhemovement/
6. The Happsters – Of course you already know a little bit about us, but if you’re new to the blog here’s a little background. Our goal is to make other people happy and let others know when they make us happy. Official Happsters are sent free happy notes to so that they can express gratitude to those who make them happy. We now have official Happsters in over 20 countries spreading happiness.
Become an official Happster and get free Happy Notes here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster
Have you heard of any of these movements before? Are you part of any of them? Let me know in the comments!
40 thoughts on “6 Happiness Movements Everyone Should Know About”
Thanks for this! I’ve been interested in happiness since I can remember. I’ve always wondered why some people seem so effortlessly happy while others have to work so hard to get and maintain happiness and I’ve dedicated a few blog posts in the past to exploring this! Anyway, I will definitely check these suggestions out. There’s always room for more happiness!
Thank you for another great post! I hadn’t heard of these movements, but I love them all! I’m definitely going to look into them.
Reblogged this on This Little Life of Mine and commented:
Wow, these are fabulous and, all new to me – apart from you yourselves of course. Ok, you got me, gotta make it official now..I’m a hapster!!!
Hello, I only found your blog a few weeks ago, but I must think along your lines as I started my own little project in February: http://thepogblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/the-almost-secret-baker and have done it in secret every month since. I work in a very large office, and apparently there are lots of conversations going on as to who the secret baker could be! I like to think it helps make people a bit happier :o)
Thank you! :o)
Alright! That made me smile. I haven’t heard of any of the groups before, but so happy they are out there spreading joy!!!
Very Inspiring, Absolutely Love This Post!!
Your So Welcome 🙂
Reblogged this on BeccaLeeGrace.
Much happier than the news, thanks!
Ill add another….You Are Valued..youarevalued.com.
Reblogged this on Motivating For Positive Change and commented:
Check out this awesomevblog listing a.number of happines projects…check them out and work on creating happines today!
I am grateful for your post! Thank you!
Good post. I’d like to read that book that the CEO wrote. Glad to know that people are still doing caring things for one another.
Reblogged this on Little Blog of Letting Go and commented:
Please read and join the movements ~ Be happy, people!
Reblogged this on Writings of a Mrs and commented:
This is great!
Don’t worry, be happy..
la la la la
Have a happy Saturday!
Thanks for sharing these happiness movements. My kids and I are trying to thing of fun ways to spread happiness this summer and these are some great inspiration for us. 🙂
Thanks for sharing! I really needed this.
Nice. You might like this: “7 Essential books on Optimism” from “Brain Pickings” web site http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/07/04/7-essential-books-on-optimism/
You’ve put a smile on my face, and one on so many others. Blessings~
I’ve nominated you for the “One Lovely Blog” Award. I love all the messages you share, happy to be a Happster (:
for instructions http://nataliejagodaperception.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/one-lovely-blog/
Thanks so much!
This is an awesome post! Thanks ❤
Such a nice Sunday morning read! Keep up the good work.
This is so great I love this!
Reblogged this on strictlyholistic and commented:
Love these ideas for happiness movements so I thought I’d reblog them for you! Enjoy.
Reblogged this on looking4adventure and commented:
Finding beauty in the small this 🙂 I saw this on someones blog and thought i’d share!
This is awesome. I’m going to find ways to use this in the classroom. Thanks!
LOVE THIS!! Thanks for spreading the world about the “you are beautiful” movement. This made me smile! Checking it out right now 🙂
So inspiring!! Thanks!!
Oh this is so neat! I came to check your blog and it looks a lot like my own (the template)! Maybe we have similar energies… Who knows! Oh, well… LOVE what I see! Keep happstering everyone – love what you do, and I hope to be able to also keep happiness flowing around ~ xoxo