The other day, Happster Danette introduced me to a TED Talk by Shawn Achor called “The Happy Secret to Better Work“. It is the best TED talk I’ve heard about happiness and I’m so excited to share it with you. I’ve included the video below and a recap below. Enjoy!
Below are some key points that Shawn makes in his talk:
– Many psychologists focus on the cult of average. They want to make their clients normal/average again. Positive psychology is different in that it is aimed at studying people who are above average, so that they can figure out how to not only move people up to the average, but how they can move the entire average up.
– Our external world is not predictive of our happiness levels. In reality, if Shawn knew everything about your external world, he could only predict 10% of your long-term happiness. 90% of your happiness is determined by how your brain processes the world.
– 75% of your job success is predicted by your optimism levels, your social support and your ability to see stress as a challenge instead of as a threat.
– Many people think that if they work harder, they will be more successful and if they’re more successful, they’ll be happier. The problem is it’s scientifically backwards. Our brains work the opposite way.
– If you raise your level of positivity in the present, then your intelligence, creativity, and energy rises. Your positive brain is 31% more productive than if it is negative, neutral or stressed. If we can be positive in the present, our brains are more successful.
– You can train your brain to become positive in a 2 minute span of time for 21 days in a row by doing the following:
- Thinking of 3 things every day that you are grateful for
- Journaling about one positive experience you’ve had over the past 24 hours
- Exercising because it teaches the brain that your behavior matters
- Meditating because it allows the brain to focus on the task at hand
- Random acts of kindness (happy notes, anyone? :))
Just doing the actions above will re-wire your brain to make you more optimistic and successful!
What did you think of Shawn’s talk? Was there a specific part of his talk that really resonated with you? Are you going to take this 21 day challenge? Let me know in the comments!
Become an official Happster & get free happy notes here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster