When I first started dating my boyfriend, he insisted upon going on a road trip together. But road trips didn’t make much sense to me; “What’s the point of a road trip when you can get there faster on a plane?”, I asked. Finally, he convinced me to take a road trip with him to Big Sur, California. I didn’t see it then, but the road trip was exactly what I needed. Now I understand the power of road trips and their ability to boost happiness and strengthen relationships.
Here are 5 healthy benefits of going on a road trip:
1) Road trips clear your mind. Many of us are so used to constantly checking our email and worrying about work that it’s often hard to turn stop and enjoy the little things. On a road trip, you have the opportunity to clear your mind, take your time, and concentrate on the open road rather than your next meeting.
2) Road trips remind you to live in the present. Pretty soon you realize that it’s not about where you’re going, it’s about enjoying the journey. The trip allows you to take in the new climates and environment around you and create new memories. You’re able to pull off the road on a whim to see new sights, eat at new restaurants, and meet new people all before you’ve reached your destination.
3) Road trips invigorate you. Daily routines can get monotonous, so mixing it up by going on a road trip allows you to explore all kinds of new areas you wouldn’t normally. These new experiences boost the brain, open you up to more possibilities, make you feel alive, and build self-confidence.
4) Road trips provide a chance to be kind to others. When is the last time you set out to make someone else’s day better? On road trips, you can easily take a few moments to leave a happy note for a waitress, pay the toll fee for the car in back of you, or leave flowers on a bench. Two recent studies suggest that giving to others makes us even happier than spending on ourselves.
5) Road trips give you the ability to connect with companions. You can take advantage of long car rides by turning it into quality time with your loved ones. Enjoy uninterrupted conversation with the people you are traveling with and get to know them on a deeper level. Bond with each other by telling funny stories, play games, and sing at the top of your lungs.
If you take advantage of the great opportunities road trips have to offer, they will become some of the most memorable experiences of your life.
When is the last time you went on a road trip? Are you planning to go on one soon? Let me know in the comments!