A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a website called “More Love Letters“. The title intrigued me and when I dug deeper into what it was, I was sold. The concept? To leave letters of encouragement throughout your community and mail letters to strangers who send in love letter requests. You can visit this page on their site to find requests from people who need a little cheering up. They give their story and an address where you can send them a note.
So I decided I had to send some out and called one of my favorite blogger babes, London to do it with me!
We wrote to Rosie, who is just going off to college and broke her arm right before leaving. Three weeks in a cast, but I know she’ll bounce back!
And we sent notes to Victor, whose friend wrote in asking for us to make his birthday extra special by sending in a fun card.
We had lots of fun writing these cards and I can’t wait to mail them out. Hopefully it brightens their days a little bit. My challenge for you this week: Grab a friend, pick up some stationary and write some love letters to strangers!
P.S. While I’ll be updating the Happsters blog a little less frequently, I’m still very active on Instagram, where you can get daily Happsters inspiration.
Happy Saturday, friends! I thought it would be fun to do a round-up of all the best articles about happiness that were published in the last week. Enjoy!
1) 12 Ways To Be Happier At Work In Less Than 10 Minutes
In this article, Sharon Salzberg breaks down the key to workplace happiness. One of my favorite suggestions is to find ways to “break down the momentum” of the day. Read more here.
2) 43 Of The Happiest Little Kids In The Whole Wide World
The cutest and happiest kids you’ll ever see. You are guaranteed to smile while browsing through these photos. See them here.
3) 9 Ridiculously Simple Ways To Feel Happier Today
Sonja Lyubomirsky, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at the University of California Riverside, suggests simple things to do to increase your happiness. A few recommendations including smiling, expressing gratitude, and walking outside. Read more here.
4) Spend Your Money on THIS to Be Happier
A new study found that while Americans tend to believe that material goods provide better value, buying “life experiences” actually makes Americans happier than buying material possessions. Read more here.
5) Discover a kingdom where happiness rules
A look inside Bhutan, where “Gross National Happiness is more important than “Gross National Product”. I especially enjoyed this excerpt from the article: “The concept is evident in the day-to-day life of the people, from the regular meditation and reflective gardening that’s built into the school curriculum, to the charming road signs that line the main roads. These run the gamut from encouraging (“Life is a journey! Complete it!”) to paternal (“This is a highway, not a runway!”). Even the graffiti is upbeat: In Thimpu, I read a white scrawl that read, ‘Life is not a race.'” Read more here.
Have some happy news to share? Leave a comment below!
P.S. Get daily inspiration at http://www.instagram.com/happsters.
There are just 2 days left in the Happy Note a Day Challenge. Thank you to everyone who participated!! You all rocked it! Here are some notable happy notes from Happsters in the challenge. Maybe it will inspire you to write a happy note or two…
1. Idol Happy Note
Via Renae: To Princess Penny 🙂
2. Escalator Happiness
Via Jolanda: this for the guys that fixed the escalator at my job
3. Iced Coffee=Happiness
Via Eat Nap Play: A happy note and an iced coffee for my hubby! #imahappster #spreadthehappiness
Continue reading “Inspiring Happy Notes”
Are these things on your to-do list today?
1. A group of unicorns is called a blessing. (Source)
2. The average person laughs 13 times a day. (Source)
3. Blind people smile even though they’ve never seen anyone smile before. Smiling is a natural human reaction. (Source)
4. If you walk and talk with someone, eventually you will synchronize your steps with each other. (Source)
5. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don’t. (Source)
6. In Korea, there is a cat cafe where you can get coffee and hang out with cats and kittens. (Source)
7. Otters hold hands when sleeping so they don’t drift away from each other. (Source)
8. The kingdom of Bhutan use ‘gross national happiness’ as a key national indicator. (Source)
9. 2013 is the first year since 1987 that has four different digits.
Which one is your favorite fact? Have you heard any fun facts lately? Comment and let me know!
Not an official Happster yet? Join us here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster
As Happsters, we’re always looking for new ways to spread happiness and bring a smile to someone’s face. Here are 13 ways to do just that:
1. Cook someone a nice meal.
2. Run a local fundraiser for someone struggling in your neighborhood.
3. Pick up the tab at dinner with a friend.
4. Give someone a note of appreciation! (If you don’t have one, get some free happy notes here)
5. Tell someone close to you how much they mean to you.
6. Add money to an expired meter.
7. Lend an ear to a friend who needs someone to talk to.
8. Remember someone’s name the first time you hear it.
9. Give a friend a hug.
10. Surprise someone!
11. Say I love you.
12. Leave flowers on someone’s front porch.
13. SMILE…It’s contagious!
How do you spread happiness? Let me know in the comments!
Hi Happsters! Hope you’re having a fabulous day. I love this quote by Arthur Rubinstein and wanted to share it with you: “I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.” – Arthur Rubinstein. What’s your favorite happiness quote?
I also wanted to say how proud I am of all our Happsters who are spreading happiness in their neighborhoods! Below are some awesome photos that might spark ideas for how you can spread happiness in your area.
How have you spread happiness this week?
Not an official Happster yet? Sign up and get free happy notes like the ones you see in this post here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster
Good news Happsters! The Happy Notes arrived on Friday and they look great! Hoping to start mailing them out tomorrow. Can’t wait for you all to get them.
If you haven’t become a Happster yet and want some free happy notes, you can sign up here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster
I was fortunate enough to write a guest blog post about my top 5 happiness tips for Anjana Awakened. Hope you enjoy!
Happsters from around the world spread happiness this weekend. Thank you all for taking time to make other people smile. Smile notes were put everywhere from car windshields to bulletin boards to guitar cases. Great work everyone!
Let’s continue to spread the happiness today to our mailmen! Today is Mailman Appreciation Day so let try to thank our mailman or write a note of appreciation some time in the next few days. Let us know that you did it on Twitter or Instagram with #imahappster or email us at email@example.com
Not an official Happster yet? Sign up here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster