Collectively, Americans spend roughly 500,000 years stuck in traffic — nearly 4.2 billion hours. That’s a lot of time in the car! If you’re like most of us, you’ve found yourself frustrated while driving a time or two. Here are some tips to help you stay happy on your commute:
1. Leave a 5-10 minute cushion for yourself. Many people get anxious in the car because they get caught in traffic and end up being late for an appointment or meeting. Avoid feeling rushed by leaving yourself a little more time than you think is necessary.
2. Listen to great music. Turn on your favorite song and take time to enjoy it. You can even sing along if you want! I know I do.
3. Check the traffic. Avoid getting caught in traffic by looking at real-time traffic updates on a site like sigalert before you leave so you can plan your route accordingly.
4. Take another mode of transportation. Whenever you can, take another mode of transportation like the bus, train or your bike. Mixing it up will allow you to notice new things, decrease your stress and meet new people.
5. Practice an act of kindness. Help make someone else’s day a little smoother by practicing an act of kindness like letting a car merge into your lane. Even if you get to your destination 30 seconds later, you’ll feel better about your commute.
6. Take the scenic route. Stray away from your regular routine and go on a mountain road or drive along the beach. It’s hard to have road rage when you’re among beautiful scenery. Just to be sure to keep your eyes on the road :).
How much time do you think you spend in the car a day? What are your favorite songs to listen to?
Become an official Happster & get free happy notes here: http://tinyurl.com/imahappster